The observatory, constructed in 1931, was made possible by the generous donations from the Elgar Weaver family of Brookville, Ohio. When the observatory opened, Dr. Hugh G. Harp, professor of Mathematics and Astronomy, became the first Director of Weaver Observatory. The observatory’s main attraction by far is the 22′ dome that sits upon its roof. Beneath the protective dome is the university’s main observational instrument — a 10-inch refractor. The refractor was placed in the observatory in the spring of 1931; however, the 10-inch objective lens, cast by the Carl Lundin Co., was probably completed up to a year earlier. The telescope was completely refurbished in 2003, and much effort and concern were placed on the preservation of the vintage telescope’s unaltered history.