Burrell Memorial Observatory
28 Fifth Street
Burrell Memorial Observatory (1940) was a gift of Mrs. Katherine Ward Burrell in honor of her husband, a widely known designer and engineer who built some of the world’s largest telescopes. It contains a 13 3/8-inch Warner and Swasey refracting telescope, display room, astronomy classrooms. The telescope is used in astronomy instruction by the Department of Physics. The interior of the building has been refurbished to suit current uses. Burrell is one of Ohio’s most beautiful surviving vintage observatories.
Open houses are scheduled at various times throughout the year. Call (440) 826-2312 to be put on the email list to receive notification of the programs. Those interested may also call the Observatory line at (440) 826-2223 for the latest program information.
Exterior photo by James Guilford. Telescope photo by Baldwin-Wallace University.
One thought on “Burrell Memorial Observatory”